Recommended Resources for Working Parents
Listen to the Parents at Work Podcast, hosted by Lori Mihalich-Levin, JD, and Jason Levin, MBA, for insights from working moms and working dads from a wide variety of industries and sectors.
Insight Timer Meditations and Talks
Lori Mihalich-Levin, CEO of Mindful Return, is also a teacher on the free app, Insight Timer. You can find a library of her meditations and talks here.
Here are some of our favorite reads for working parents, on topics related to topics including the return to work after parental leave, motherhood, babies, breastfeeding, mindfulness, and overwhelm:
- Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave, by Lori Mihalich-Levin
- Here’s the Plan: Your Practical, Tactical Guide to Advancing Your Career During Pregnancy and Parenthood, by Allison Downey
- Breastfeeding in Combat Boots: A Survival Guide to Successful Breastfeeding While Serving in the Military, by Robyn Roche-Paul
- The Good Mother Myth: Redefining Motherhood to Fit Reality, edited by Avital Norman Nathman
- I Love You Rituals, by Becky Bailey
- Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry, by Katrina Kennison
- Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood, by Karen Mazen Biller
- Mompowerment: Insights from Professional Part-Time Working Moms who Balance Career and Family, by Suzanne Brown
- No Drama First-Time Mama: A Practical Guide to Living Your Best Life as a New Mother, by Emily Lammers
- Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life, by Renee Peterson Trudeau
- Overwhelmed: Work, Love, and Play When No One Has the Time, by Brigid Schulte
- Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life, by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Playful Parenting, by Lawrence J. Cohen
- Practical Wisdom for Parents: Raising Self-Confident Children in the Preschool Years, by Nancy Schulman and Ellen Birnbaum
- Work. Pump. Repeat.: The New Mom’s Survival Guide to Breastfeeding and Going Back to Work, by Jessica Shortall
- Your Baby & Child from Birth to Age Five, by Penelope Leach
- The Zen of Midlife Mothering, Compiled and Collected by Cyma Shapiro
Need More Support?
- Dr. Emma Basch – Individual and group counseling, with a specialty in supporting pregnant and postpartum women and their families.
- Birth You Desire – serves the greater Washington DC metro area with childbirth classes, Birth Doulas and much more
- Body Connect Health & Wellness – Progressive health & wellness center, specializing in pelvic floor therapy, myofascial release, and other manual therapeutic treatments that reduce pain, restore body alignment, and improve overall function.
- Bringing Baby Home™Seminar – In a relaxed and supportive environment, new parents learn the skills needed to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging adjustment of transitioning to parenthood
- Michelle Cohen, Savor It Studios – Prenatal and postnatal private and group yoga teacher and birth and postpartum doula in Washington, D.C.
- Rebecca Dallek – Coaching moms on career re-entry, career transitions, leadership development and work-life challenges
- Dr. Heather Diamond, PsyD – Counseling for individuals and couples, specializing in perinatal mental health concerns and adjustment to parenthood
- First Shift Justice Project – Information and legal assistance about family-related workplace rights, for workers in the DC metropolitan area
- Emily Goodstein – Washington, DC-area birth photographer
- Naomi Gottlieb-Miller – founder of Conscious Healthy Mama and longtime yoga teacher, works with overwhelmed, stressed out, busy moms who are looking to find more ease and enjoyment in their lives and through the everyday actions of motherhood
- Nicole Grocki, MS, LMFT, LCMFT, Maternal Wellness Services – Specializing in perinatal mental health providing individual therapy for pregnant and postpartum moms (and dads too!). Offers home visits in addition to in-office sessions
- Alexandra Hughes – Coaches Mothers “To a Place of Calm and Joyful Living”
- Integrative Therapy of Greater Washington
- Dr. Dawn Johnson, Psychologist in downtown DC, specializing in anxiety, career, body image, and relationships, with an emphasis on navigating life transitions
- Jennifer Kogan, MSW, LICSW – Counseling for Individuals, Couples, Parents, and Families
- Meghan Leahy – Parenting coach with Positively Parenting
- Marva Makle – Health coach for professional women who want to go from worn-out, burnt-out (WOBO) to joyous and thriving
- Metropolitan Breastfeeding – Breastfeeding support through consultations and an online (and in-person) store
- Dana Satir – licensed clinical psychologist in Boulder, CO, specializing in women’s issues, including eating disorders, body image concerns and difficulties in self esteem
- Emily Seamone – Founder of Women, Work, and Life; career and work-life coach specializing in helping women with changing careers for better work-life integration, returning to the workplace after a break, finding more flexible careers, and creating better balance in their lives overall
- Heather Stegal, CPCC- Founder of Baby Steps Life Coaching for Working Women. Helping Women Transition Back to Work One Step at a Time
- Manisha Tare, Falling Leaf Wellness – Working with mamas in the pre- and postnatal periods, in person through healing bodywork and yoga, and via Skype through Mind-Body Coaching, to reduce stress and anxiety. Supports emotional well-being throughout pregnancy, childbirth, and beyond.
- Consider UrbanSitter to find babysitters you already share connections with
- Looking for a daycare or preschool? Winnie can help. Browse all licensed child care near you, with detailed information including photos, prices, parent reviews and more.
Mindful Return Maternity Leave Course, UK Chapter
Take the Mindful Return UK Course to ease your transition to working motherhood in the UK.
E-course for Dads
Take the Mindful Return Working Dad Course to ease your transition to working fatherhood.
Join Mindful Return on Facebook for more tips and help.
If you have questions about Mindful Return, reach out to us here.