In May 2017, a few weeks after my book, Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave, came out, I had the pleasure of giving a talk at a wonderful book store in Washington, DC, called Politics & Prose.
Fast-forward about 16 months, and I would now love to share with you a 5-minute video with highlights from my book talk.
Click below to watch, and you’ll hear me answer questions including:
- What role can a parent affinity group play at your workplace?
- Should a company launch a “moms” group or a “parents group”?
- Why is it important to have working parent voices reflected throughout an organization, and especially on leadership committees?
- How can employers help their new moms transition back to work after maternity leave?
- How do I center myself and find calm in my days, as a lawyer, entrepreneur, and mama to two boys?
What’s the lesson here in sharing this video over a year after the book talk took place? In working parenthood, life happens on its own schedule. Baby steps matter. And it’s never too late to finish that project you once started. Would I have preferred to get this video wrapped up and sent out to you oh, say, 9 months ago? Sure. And did the “delay” (in my own head!) cause any major problems? Nope.
So I’ll challenge you: What project have you started or planted the seed for that hasn’t yet materialized? What baby step can you take on it in the next week to get it closer to its finish line?
There is no “late” in Mindful Return land.
Hope you enjoy the video! (Also: Accolades go to Craig White of Small Dog Video for his amazing filming, editing, and production work.)
If you need more help getting your head in a better place to return to work after maternity leave, join us for the next session of Mindful Return.
Want more practical tips on working parenthood? Check out my book, Back to Work After Baby: How to Plan and Navigate a Mindful Return from Maternity Leave.